WELCOME

WELCOME! Thanks for coming by. I enjoy your comments. Come back soon...


Sunday, August 17, 2008

Flour and Water Resist
















































Hello, Andie from Florida! Thanks for dropping by and commenting on the potato resist / bleach discharge experiment.
Nice to 'meet' you. Your comment inspired me to go back into the kitchen and try the flour and water resist.
I used a cup of cold water and about one and one-third cups of flour, mixed into the water with a wire whisk. It was about the consistency of pancake batter. I painted it on a piece of coarsely woven off white fabric that I had pinned to a piece of foam insulation board. I let it dry thoroughly. Then I crinkled the fabric to make the resist crack, and painted it with blue fabric paint. After the paint dried, I washed out the flour resist. Above are a couple of pictures of the result. At the top is a closeup of the texture. Below that is the whole piece, which is about 16 x 20 inches. Click on either of these for a closer view.
You're right, the flour resist with paint gives a great result too. I found it a bit harder to wash out of the fabric than the potato resist, but I will definitely be trying both again. I think there are a lot of possibilities to explore with both. When I can make my own resists with non toxic ingredients that are already in my kitchen, what's not to like!!

No comments: