WELCOME

WELCOME! Thanks for coming by. I enjoy your comments. Come back soon...


Thursday, May 29, 2008

This is the second of my four quilts for May. I made the digital image from a manipulated closeup photo of a pansy petal that I had taken. I drew the female Icarus-like figure after seeing a sculpture of Icarus on the grounds of the Hunter Museum of American Art in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I printed the digital image on fabric and attached it with decorative machine stitches to the background of metallic flecked rose colored fabric. I extended the 'sun' with a layer of gold painted plastic that began life as the peel-off protector on top of a yogurt container. I used free motion quilting in the background and bound the quilt in yellow. For me this quilt symbolizes the need to aim high, even though you may fly too close to the sun as Icarus did.

1 comment:

natsagainatlast said...

Great inspiration and improvisational use of discarded yogurt lid! You are certainly taking Icarus' example to heart with your creative efforts which are on display here.