WELCOME

WELCOME! Thanks for coming by. I enjoy your comments. Come back soon...


Thursday, July 24, 2008

June quilt number four.
This quilt began as an experiment with rust dyed fabric. On our trip to Maryland, my son gave me an old rusted chain he had found in his yard and my husband and I found a rusted railroad spike and several other very old pieces of metal. I brought them home and used them to rust dye some fabric. Our younger son has recently moved to Brunswick, MD, a wonderful old railroad town containing a big railyard that is still very busy. One can hear and see C&O freight trains, Amtrak passenger trains, and MARC commuter trains passing through Brunswick all during the day and night. I loved the sounds and sight of them!
For my quilt, I printed a picture of an old steam train on fabric, along with my digitally manipulated photo of the rail yard as it looks today. Hearing the trains at night made me wonder if, in the moonlight, one mightn't sometimes be able to see a ghost of the old steam locomotives that used to pass through Brunswick's railyard.

1 comment:

natsagainatlast said...

Indeed - those train whistles in the night have a way of evoking wistful thoughts of a bygone era.