WELCOME

WELCOME! Thanks for coming by. I enjoy your comments. Come back soon...


Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Four Journal Quilts for March 2008


This is just a 'doodle' quilt. I used scraps of muslin that had been used to try out brushes, colors, etc. These are sewn to a piece of green felt with more strips inserted for a kind of border. It is embellished with three round fused kaleidoscope pieces printed from the computer, some beads and some ironed-on plastic Easter basket grass. I used decorative stitching around the edge.





This is called 'Dream'.
I used scraps of muslin that I'd tried colors on, the mask-like faces that I drew on fabric are fused on and are partly hidden behind Angelina fiber as they inhabit the dreams of the sleeping figure below. I drew and colored this figure and her quilt digitally and printed her on fabric, which was then fused to the purple bottom panel. I used some decorative stitches and an applied border.





At the left is 'Dancers'.
I used fused fabric and added some embroidery for their hair.
It is sandwiched with flannel for batting and has muslin backing.
It expresses the joy I feel when I'm in my studio having fun!









This is a collage on muslin, and it uses homemade paper, mulberry paper, and tissue paper, with transparent paints added. I used Elmer's
glue diluted half and half with water to put down the layers. It was sandwiched with flannel and a muslin backing, and free motion quilted.








You can click on each quilt for a slightly larger view.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the newest creations. Enjoy your use of color. I'm especially enamored of the dancers and dream pc. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

GOOD WORK FOR AN OLD FOOL!

natsagainatlast said...

I too would have to vote for Dancers as my fave. Like the bright and varied colors (also the amount of blue in there, my fav color) and also the exuberant feel to the picture. I also like the Doodle - reminds me of designs I "created" with my old Spirograph as a kid.

AJ said...

Anonymous #1: Thanks. Dancers is my favorite too.
Anonymous Number 2: I'm taking that "Old Fool" as a term of endearment from another Old Fool. ;-)
NatsAgain: Thanks, and I remember that Spirograph!

Gayle said...

I tried to leave a comment but may have made a mistake...so this may be a repeat. Anyway, I'm so glad you introduced yourself. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. You are a talented quilter and writer. Your work is absolutely beautiful. I look forward to reading your future posts. :-)Gayle

Judy Hartman said...

Dear AJ,
Just stopped by your blog for a minute when I read your comment on Gayle's blog, Sparkle Jars. Love your work! I have bookmarked your blog to come back and read more later. Your journal quilts are beautiful!
Judy

Judy Hartman said...

AJ,
Just read much of your blog and thoroughly enjoyed it! Your artwork and your humor are wonderful and I plan to visit you often!!!
Thank you for your very kind comments on my blog.
take care,
judy